More on Diana Ross

THE MAIL

To The Editors of The Crimson.

The letters to the Crimson of May 4, 5, 11 and the editorial piece of May 13, Which cavil about the Harvard Foundation's sponsorship of Diana Ross's visit to Harvard, deserve a response. In the past I have been reluctant to respond publicly and critically to uninformed assertions of the kind made in these letters because of my concern for the feelings of Black students who, in my opinion, are too often criticized. But in this instance, as Director of the Foundation, I am compelled to respond and clear up obvious misconceptions and misrepresentations of the facts.

The first and most glaring misconception was expressed by Diane Cardwell, who asserts that "In response to a request for a Third World center, the University threw Black students a bone in the form of the Foundations." This statement reflects both ignorance of the facts and confusion. Since its-inception two years ago, every public report has made it clear that the Harvard Foundation was not established in lien of a Third World center. This point cannot be overemphasized.

The Harvard Foundation is an agency established by the Administration and Faculty of the University to improve racial understanding. It is a new and very promising idea--a Harvard idea that we hope other institutions throughout the country will adopt. Experience has shown that whenever large numbers of persons of different racial backgrounds live and work together, there will likely be misunderstandings, tensions, and conflicts. Al institutions should establish some agency whose programs and policies seek to improve racial understanding, to encourage persons of different racial backgrounds to interact around mutual interests with the aim of reducing racial hostilities. This is not the role that "Third World centers" (whatever they may be) have established for themselves. For a variety of reasons the Faculty and Administration of the University decided not to establish a "Third World center." It should be mentioned that in the past the University created and sponsored a Black cultural center at the request of Black students, but that center was short lived because of lack of student interest. (Incidentally, Black students served on its board.) Of the more than 1000 Black Graduates since 1970, few if any have donated funds toward a new Black cultural center.

Although the Foundation itself has never been associated with the decision to create or not create a "Third World center," that notion persists in the minds of a few students. Not was the Foundation's director party to any decision regarding a "Third World Center." The Foundation's present director took the job because he strongly believes that all of the races at Harvard can and must work together harmoniously while respecting the value and uniqueness of each group's cultural differences.

There is no single proven formula for improving race relations. However the Harvard Foundation is exploring every avenue and responsible student input has always been encouraged and welcomed.

Cardwell's contusion is reflected throughout her editorial in such sentences as The plea for a Third world center is based upon a desire to improve race relations by making Black students students feel more comfortable and accepted at the College and the University threw Black students a bone..." By definition. "Third World" is supposed to include Asians. Hispanics/Latinos, Native Americans, etc., If this letter is supposed to reflect "Third World" attitudes why do these groups go unmentioned. Many students have pointed out to the Foundation office that Asian American student activities are attended almost entirely by Asian Americans, Latino activities by Latinos, Indian activities by Indians, etc., Somehow the spirit of "Third World does not seem to permeate. "Third World" student of all backgrounds participate in Harvard's many ethnic and cultural activities."

With regard to some of the more thoughtless commentary of the earlier letters, the writers may be interested to know that Harvard students recommended both of these guests to the Foundation as outstanding figures in sports and music who deserved recognition. This recognitions was accorded in the same spirit as that given to similar public figures by other Ivy League schools (Yale's sports honoree this year was Arthur Ashe) and Harvard groups like Hasty Pudding, Ferguson, Gordon, Gooding, and Cardwell should remember that Hasty Pudding is predominantly white group that mostly recognizes white artists. Such recognition is highly valued in the real world and reflects the sophistication of the Hasty Pudding students. Black students at Harvard have never formed any group that publicly recognizes the contributions of Black artists and entertainers. Knowing the value of such Harvard recognition, Black artists wonder why this should be so.

Further, each of the letter writers suggests that the Foundation would do well to invite more intellectual and scholarly persons to Harvard. Again, let us examine the facts. For the past two years, the Harvard Foundation has hosted a variety of stimulating Black and other "Third World" intellectuals. While other minority groups have turned out for their ethnic speakers in significant numbers. Black undergraduate student turnout has been embarrassingly low.

Let us review a few examples: Dr. Walter Massey, a Black physicist and director of the country's largest energy laboratory, visited the University last year. Dr. Massey lectured on "Science in a Democratic Society: The Participation of Minorities." He also talked at an open dinner on the need for minorities in the scientific fields other than medicine. Very few Black and almost no other "Third World" students showed up at his widely advertised lectures. Participating Black students were embarrassed by the negligible turnout. Last spring (through another department) Black Nobel Prize laureate Sir Arthur Lewis of Princeton delivered five major lectures on world economics and Third World perspectives. Less than 10 Black undergraduates showed up for the entire five lectures. If it had not been for the small number of white students, Staff and faculty, the 500-scat hall would have been essentially empty. One Black student suggested that other students may have been "boycotting" events supported by the Afro-American studies Department.

In March the distinguished former (and first Black) mayor of Atlanta. Maynard Jackson, delivered four brilliant lectures here. A man who skillfully guided his city through one of the tensest racial climates in American history (i.e. during the child murders) drew less than 10 Black undergraduates for all of the lectures combined. At a well advertised dinner discussion. Dr. Jean Nobel, noted Black historian and women's rights activist, drew only one Black undergraduate (and fortunately several Black Graduate students and staff.) Recently, Dr. Samuel Proctor--a leading Black educator scholar, holder of the Martin Luther King professorship Rutgers and pastor of the country's largest and most prestigious Black church--delivered a major lecture on Black cultural history. Only one Black undergraduate attended. This prompted Dr. Proctor to express both concern and sympathy for what he called the "lost" Black student. For a meant lecture presented by Black female astronaut and NASA Chief of Medical Operations Dr. Irene Long, only three Black undergraduates showed up. One could go on and on with other embarrassing examples. It is significant that none of the persons writing in protest of the Ross visit seems to have attended any of these scholarly presentations.

The lack of Black student support for visiting Black scholars is shameful. Many of these guests have made major contributions to the civil rights movement and the overall quality of American life. They and their often-unheralded sacrifices are responsible for our being here and they deserve some sign of our appreciation for their efforts on our behalf. Moreover, they can reach us something.

Perhaps some students were "boycotting" the lectures, that seems to be the most au courant excuse and the unfortunate "pattern" mentioned in the letters. Or, may be they "didn't see the advertisement" (that is typically carried in. The Crimson for several days, on posters all over campus, and in the Gazette and the Independent) It is naive to think that such commonly used excuses are credible in this very observant intellectual community. It is instructive to note that the last boycott held by a group of Harvard Black students (i.e., before Afro. Am Studies, the Foundation, etc.) was not against some "racist" person or policy of the University, but against former Black basketball couch Satch Sanders, a warm and caring person who sacrificed part of his professional career to work with Harvard students. Some Black students boycotted him because he "played too many whites." One can only wonder where this self-destructive behavior ends.

Lest some students be misled into believing that the sentiments expressed in the letters represent those of the majority of Black students at Harvard, it should be pointed out that hundreds of supportive Black and other students (and staff) turned out to pay their respects to Diana Ross and Sugar Ray Leonard. The Foundation literally had to turn away scores of students from the luncheon reception because of the lack of space.

The massive, multiracial student turnout and spontaneous exhibition of admiration clearly justify the Leonard/Ross visits and prove that they did more to help Harvard's race relations than so hurt them. Ms. Ross, a gracious, intelligent international star, heard some 60 students at a South House luncheon individually express their fondness for her and explain the significance of her music to their lives. She expressed reciprocal fondness for the warmth of the Harvard admirers and deep appreciation for the Harvard Foundation's recognition. Mr. Leonard, the second prize fighter to visit Harvard in the last decade, was equally gracious and appealing (the Class of 1975 invited Muhammad Ali as its Class Day speaker.)

The Harvard Foundation record of scholarly, multiracial activities speaks for itself.

One might view it as a positive sign that the Diana Ross visit inspired five letters to The Crimson from "concerned" Black students. This is unprecedented Over the past few years. Black children have been beaten and murdered by racist in the Boston area, the Ku Kluk Klan ahs rallied here. Jerry Falwell has spoken on the Harvard campus. Harvard Black students fear for their safety when travelling in Boston. Black enrollment is at its lowest in 13 years, and South African apartheid issues stare us in the face-yet no one can recall even one letter from these same Black students on any of these subjects. Why are some Blacks so quickly inclined to raise their pens against other Blacks or Black efforts when they have a record of silence on issues of racism' Criticism is fine but it must be bucked by substance and not simply based on instinct and ignorance.

I have written at length in hopes of stimulating constructive dialogue among Harvard a Black students, and between the student and few Black staff or other elders who are available to work with them. As one of the few Black professors at Harvard. I share many of the frustrations Black students feel in dealing with Harvard a poor record of minority hiring and retention, lower Black student enrollment. South African ties, and other problems However. I feel that there are many intelligent and productive ways for both students and staff to work to ward improving these situations. One of the first steps is to bring members of all of Harvard's different racial groups together to act on these issues.

As director of the Harvard Foundation. I appeal to Harvard's Black students to resist being misled by a few persons who offer no viable solution to Harvard's (or the real world's) racial problems, but who are simply sources of negativism, incessant empty criticism, and tangential protests. Let us instead direct our energies toward improving the quality of our common lives in this community. S. Allen Counter   Director, Harvard Foundation