Ugly Building

A Weekly Survey of News From Other Campuses

Students at Cornell University, concerned about the rustic beauty of their rural campus, are protesting a plan to build an 11-story administrative building at one end of the school's central quadrangle.

The building, called Academic I. has been attacked by students who say it is ugly, does not fit in with surrounding buildings, and will cast long afternoon shadows on students catching late afternoon rays.

In less than a week, the students have collected 2100 signatures protesting the building's design.

Faculty Backers

The group called Cornellians Against Academic I has sizable faculty support as well.

The Academic I design would not pass for a design "by a second-year architecture student," said Jerry A. Wells, chairman of the Cornell Architecture Department.

On May 2, the faculty of the College of Architecture. Art and Planning voted unanimously to support a statement recommending to university officials that "the implementation of present plans for the proposed Academic I [building] cease immediately." The Cornell Daily Sun