How's That Again?

Officials recently completed proofreading the galleys for the new Faculty of Arts and Sciences course catalogue, and one error may have received more than just a cursory glance from an editor's eye. A midst numerous misspellings, addendeums, and subtractions, Paul C. Martin, dean of the Division of Applied Sciences, received an unexpected promotion--to the Deanship of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

While the mistake--which appeared quickly crossed out--would have proved only of passing interest in most years, it took on more humorous overtones in light of the ongoing search for a successor to the current dean of the faculty, Henry Rosovsky, who will step down next summer.

Officials moved quickly to scotch any attempt to draw Freudian implications from the error. "It was just me making a mistake," said Ilana Rhodes, publications editor in the Office of the Registrar, which puts together the catalogue. "I was probably just looking at another piece of paper," she added.

Said an unamused Martin, whose name has been mentioned as a possible candidate: "It's totally someone in the typographic error department." Asked whether lie had given any thought to assuming the prestigious deanship he replied, "Nope."