Mather May Net Pro Basketball Coach

Affiliate Status Offered to Celtics' K.C. Jones

K.C. Jones, the head coach of the Boston Celtics, may soon join the roster of Mather House affiliates.

The 51-year-old former Harvard assistant basketball coach has reacted favorably to initial overtures, and Master David Herlihy said a formal offer was "in the mail."

Jones said yesterday that he had already told the House he would be honored to be an affiliate.

"I told them I would be happy to be associated with the House." Jones said. "I was surprised to be asked."

Affiliates to the Houses usually have some connection to the College and provide advice to residents often through dinnertime talks or by taking part in House activities.

A Celtic player from 1958-1967, Jones replaced Bill Fitch as head coach in June following a disappointing season in which the club lost in the opening playoff round.

The House Masters said they began to court Jones last spring after he was named coach of the professional basketball club. They said they hoped his impending appointment would attract more athletes to the River House.

Strengthening the Team

Herlihy said that wooing Jones was "part of a general effort to strengthen the Senior Common Room and give it more variety."

The 13-year-old House is occupied by about 408 students and 102 senior residents. Of the senior residents, about 50 are affiliates--among them a number of professors, two museum officials and a judge.

It was not clear yesterday what Jones' function as affiliate would be Herlihy said Jones' participation in House life would depend on his schedule.

Asked if he would be able to make visits to the House during the season, Jones replied, "I think that's possible."

Bud Meyer '86, a Mather resident, said that "if Jones is going to be around that would definitely attract athletes and sports fans. But it all depends on how much time he spends here."

Mather resident Miles Chang '84 said "If [Jones] comes here twice there won't be a profound effect" on House residents and life.

Meyer, an occasional basketball player, said he would like to ask Jones about basketball strategy and speculated that "maybe [Jones] could come down and play" in a game or two.

Harvard basketball coach Frank McLaughlin said he was pleased that Jones might return to the College.

Herlihy, a professor of Medieval History, and Jones both graduated from the University of San Francisco. Herlihy graduated in 1952. Jones graduated in 1956, the year he and Bill Russell led the USF team to an undefeated season culminating with victory in the NCAA championship.

He joined the Celtics in 1958 and was a defensive standout for nine years, ending with the 1966-67 season. In 1970, he became a full-time assistant basketball coach at Harvard.

"Satch's" Restaurateur Tom Sanders, a former Harvard basketball coach, served as an affiliate at Dunster House in the late '70s.

However, Sanders, who was a teammate of Jones on the Celtics during the '60s, said his coaching schedule didn't allow much time for frequent late afternoon and evening House functions.