Selective Punishment

FREE SPEECH

IN REPRIMANDING two students who heckled Secretary of Defense Caspar W. Weinberger '38 last November, the University last week was guilty of both discrimination and ex post facto punishment. Hundreds of people, both students and non-students, caused the disturbance at the Law School Forum in Sanders Theatre which partially silenced Weinberger Singling out two well-known student agitators for vaguely worded violations of University policy amounts to selective repression of students whose political views don't conform to those of University administrators. In addition, the very vagueness of University policy concerning "disruptive action" lends itself to abuse by those in power. Holding students liable for academic or disciplinary probation after vague infractions opens up a host of problems for freedom of expression in an academic community.

To remove any excuse in future for selective punishment of hecklers after the fact, and to insure for speakers the opportunity to air their views, the University should adopt a comprehensive policy similar to the one already successfully in place at the Kennedy School. Hecklers who seriously disrupt University-sponsored events should first be asked to respect the rights of the speaker, and, if they refuse, should be escorted from the hall. By adopting and publicizing such a policy. Harvard will be able to adequately insure order a public events and students will not be subject to retroactive discipline for non-violent protest.