Marshal Hopeful Uses Mail In Novel Campaign Strategy

In what alumni officials called a first, one of 84 candidates for Senior Class Marshal sent a letter to each of his classmates last week asking for their vote.

Richard J. Kelly '85 of Quincy House wrote to seniors requesting their support, but yesterday he refused to say how he obtained the confidential names and addresses.

Although the College releases student lists to Harvard offices, it dos not give addresses to student groups or individual students, "even when it seems like quite a legitimate reason," said Registrar Margaret E. Law.

Alumni officials did not speculate on how Kelly obtained the addresses. Although the Alumni Association, which oversees marshal elections, does not prohibit this type of campaigning. Associate Director of Classes and Reunions Victor A. Koivumaki III '68 said "I'm not aware that anything like this [letter distribution] has happened before."

Kelley said he wrose the letter because he found out that few seniors knew what the position of Class Marshal entailed. He said a friend of his gave him the addresses which he printed onto labels on the Harvard computer system, but refused to say how his friend obtained the confidential list.

Ketty said he checked with the Alumni Office before distributing the letter. They said that I could do whatever I wanted to do to reach people. They said I could take it to the nines and I said okay."

Eight Class Marshals, four women and four men, will be elected from 84 candidates to organize Commencement Week events and to serve as lifetime representatives of their Class for fundraising and other alumni affairs. Elections will be held this week and next week in each House.

Kelly's letter described the job and his qualifications and invited seniors to talk with him further.

Kelly said reactions to the letter have been mixed, running the gamut from praise to criticism. Some critics said the election is merely a popularity contest, but Kelly said to "should be more than how good your picture looks in the The Crimson."

A 1984 Class Marshal, Kevin J. Avery said he thought the letter we not necessarily the best way to campaign. He recommended a more informal, word of mouth approach Koivumaki agreed, saying that he doubted the letter would be of much benefit in the short campaign.