Booters Notch Costly Victory Over Keene State

Co-Captain Carillo Injured In 2-0 Win

The Harvard women's soccer team overcame the nation's top-tanked Division II squad yesterday on Ohiri Field for perhaps its biggest victory of the year.

But that wasn't before it suffered one of us biggest and most disheartening-losses to date.

Because on its way to a 2-0 triumph over Division II power Keene State, the Crimson lost the services of Co-Captain Alicia Carillo to a knee injury for the second year in a row.

What butts is not the loss of Carillo's services, for even after a year of rehabilitation the Crimson striker still wasn't in top form. Instead, what hurts most is that after almost a year and a hall. Carillo had finally worked her way back into the starting lineup and, as a result, seemed to have put the Cantabs in top spirits.

Ironically, however, it was the senior attacker's desire to return from last year's season-ending injury to her right knee and start yesterday's contest that may have put an end to her college career.

Just moments before yesterday's showdown, the former All-American approached Harvard Coach Bob Scalise and told him she felt ready to start her first game in two years.

"She was starting to come along and wanted a shot," Scalise said of the gutsy Carillo, who had seen only limited action in the squad's five previous games.

Huge brace on her right knee intact, Carillo got the starting role she cherished.

Just 10 minutes into the first half, though the unthinkable occurred. A misplaced kick struck her, this time in the left knee.

She was carried off the field on a stretcher, and with her went a year of rehabilitation and hope.

Junior Ann Baker, happy with the Crimson's win but echoing the team's sense of loss, said "It was very important for us to win today, but we all feel terrible about Alicia."

Inspiration

After Carillo's injury, the team started to rally. "I think they were inspired after she was hurt" said Scalise, referring to his squad's sudden offensive surge.

At 18:37 into the half, freshman Karin Pinezich connected on a pass from midfielder Wendy Zeeben and drove the ball into the net past Keene State goalie Marcia Pansuk. Sophomore Electa Sevier also registered an assist on the play.

"We wore them down today," said Scalise. "As the season goes on and this team begins to gel, the floodgates are really going to open. It's nice to dominate a game."

Dominate is exactly what the Crimson did, controlling the offense with 30 shots on goal compared to only six by Keene State.

Pinezich was especially impressive, playing a strong midfield game and consistently working the ball up to forward Kelly Landry.

Landry continued to be frustrated in her hot pursuit of the all-time Harvard career scoring record of 148 points set by Sue St. Louis from 1977-1980. Landry is two points short of the mark, and hopes to reach it on Sunday when the booters travel to New York for a doubleheader against Adelphi and Villanova.

Yesterday, however, all she could do was watch as shot after shot floated just over the net or was blocked by the busy Pansuk.

The Crimson came back strong to open the second half and put the icing on the cake with its second tally, 25:14 into the period.

Lori Barry, one of five freshmen starting for Scalise's squad yesterday, passed the ball upfield to the ubiquitous Pinezich, who fed it to Sevier. The sophomore forward knocked it past Pansuk for her second goal of the season.

The impressive triumph over the top-ranked visitors brought the booters' record to 4-1-1, and was the squad's first victory after a tie and a loss, Keene State dropped to 3-1.

Entering yesterday's contest, Harvard was ranked 14th in the nation. With the win over highly touted Keene State, the Crimson's national ranking should only improve. The booters are striving for a bid to the post-season NCAA tournament, which will include the nation's top 14 teams.

Scalise was justifiably pleased with his squad yesterday, but noted that "the only ranking that really counts in where we stand at the end of the year."