Women Cagers Suffer First Defeat as Vermont Hits From Foul Line, 64-62

By Jonathan Putnam

Visions of sugar-plum fairies have danced in from of the Harvard women's basketball team all year.

All year, that is, until last night's rude awakening at the hands of a gritty University of Vermont team and some questionable officiating.

That combination proved lethal for the now 3-1 Crimson squad, which fell to its first loss of the 1984-85 campaign by just two points, 64-62.

The defeat ended the cagers' bid to become the first Harvard women's hoop squad since 1976 to win its first four games.

An upset Crimson Coach Kathy Delaney Smith called the game the team's "first taste of hometown officials."

The final figures reflected the officiating disparity Harvard was called for 28 fouls, which led to 35 Catamount free throws.

Vermont, on the other hand, was called for 10 fouls, which led to just a single free loss by the Crimson.

Played in Burlington, Vt., the contest marked Harvard's first journey away from friendly Briggs Athletic Center. Nevertheless, it did begin as an exclusive Crimson party.

The visitors opened with a red-hot shooting touch, and jumped out to an early 20-7 lead.

The Catamounts finally found their invitations, but not before they had staked the Cantabs a 38-24 halftime lead.

After intermission, the hosts came storming back, and with three minutes left in the contest, Harvard precariously clung to a 60-59 lead.

But the one-point lead slipped away as a UVM three-point play gave it a lead it never relinquished. The teams traded baskets, and Vermont held a two point edge as it toed the foul line once again with eight seconds left.

The Catamount foul shot bounced out, but on the ensuing rebound and with just four seconds remaining. Harvard was whistled for another foul.

Vermont also missed its mark on that attempt, but by the time the Crimson had collared the rebound it had time for only a desperation full-court heave.

The shot fell short End of ballgame End of streak

One bright spot in the disappointing Harvard loss was the return to form of Co-Captain Wendy Joseph.

The senior, who had spent most of the season on the bench with an injury, erupted for a team-high 14 points Fellow Co-Captain Anna Collins was the squad's second-high scorer last night with 10.

Just how quickly the Crimson rebounds from its first loss of the year could go a long way in answering just how far the squad has come from last year's disastrous 3-22 campaign.

The answers could come as quickly as Saturday night, when Hartford visits town at 7:30 p.m.

THE NOTEBOOK: Last night's game was the third straight Crimson contest decided by fewer than four points...Freshmen Sharon Hayes and Nancy Cibotti each added eight points against the Catamounts, while guards Tricia Brown and Barb Keffer added six apiece.