After Three, It's 13-0

Harvard-Penn. 1982

By Bob Cusha

Harvard and Penn, sitting together atop the Ivy League standings, square off on Philadelphia's Franklin Field Saturday to decide Ivy League supremacy.

Sound familiar? This weekend's crucial matchup has a precedent the-- controversial 1982 contest between the Crimson and the Quakers. And the outcome was something to remember.

This week, The Crimson takes a look back at that memorable game.

The Third Quarter

Procedure to take the wind rather than the opening kickoff in the second half, so Harvard lined up to receive the kick from Quaker Dave Shulman, who knocked the ball deep into the end/once for a touchback.

Crimson QB Don Allard and his charges mainly tried to engineer their first effective series of the contest, but a delay-of-game penalty and an incomplete pass halted the Crimson's efforts at the 32.

Harvard punter Jim Villanueva delivered the ball back to the Quakers, and Penn field general Gary Vura took over. He passed for 39 yards in three plays during a masterful drive, and a couple of gutsy Penn rushes took the ball to within 10 yards of the Harvard goal line.

The Quaker drive stalled on the eight, however, and Shulman trotted onto the field to boot his second field goal of the day, this time from 28 yards out.

The Crimson now possessed the round number in a 13-0 tally, and the hallowed Multiflex attack had yet to produce a sustained drive-much less some points on the board.

It looks as though things might change, however, as Harvard, taking over on its own 19, marched the ball down the field with encouraging alacrity.

Fullback Mike Granger anchored a fierce rushing attack that brought the ball all the ways to the Penn 39 in only eight plays.

On first and ten from the 39, Allard threw an incomplete pass, and on the next play he followed up with a three-yard run. Then disaster struck.

Allard, sticking with the ground game, turned to pitch the ball to running back Scott-McCabe. But the ball was batted down by a Penn defender, and the pigskin catapulted wildly across midfield and towards the Harvard goal.

Penn's Steve Okun finally pounced on the ball at the Crimson 35. A Harvard clipping penalty heaped on top of that gave the Quakers control of the ball just 20 yards from paydirt.

Four quick running plays ground the ball to the Harvard five, but once again the Crimson defense responded.

Vura, facing a second and goal situation, dropped back and fired a pass towards tight end John Schulte, looking to put seven more nails in the Harvard coffin.

But Harvard linebacker Jose Azelby was there, and the junior grabbed the errant toss and sprinted to the 30-yd. line. The Crimson now had only 70 yards to go for its first score of the game.

But that was 70 yards too many. On its first play from scrimmage, the turnover-plagued Cantabs coughed the ball up again, as Penn defensive tackle Jerry McFadden pouched on a fumble at the Harvard 28.

The Quaker offense took the field and got off three plays for 15 yards before time ran out on the third quarter.

The score now stood 13-0 in Penn's favor, and an anemic Harvard offense was making it look like the Crimson eleven would never get any closer.

But they would

Tomorrow: The Fourth Quarter