Famed Sailor Philip S. Weld Dies at 69

By Nicholas P. Caros

Philip Saltonstall Weld 36 a former newspaper publisher who contributed generously to Harvard in past years and who also held a solo sailing record, died Tuesday after suffering a heart attack in the Square. He was 69 years old.

Only four years ago Weld crossed the Atlantic alone in only 18 days, breaking the record for the 3000-mile. Plymouth, England-to-Newport, Rl race by more than two days.

Public television Stations last year broadcast a special. "American Challenge," chronicling the fan.

Created Endowed Professorship

Weld gave $1 million in 1982 for an endowed professorship in atmospheric chemistry bearing his name. David W. Johnson' 68 of the University's development office said yesterday.

"He was a remarkable human being, and a tremendous benefactor of Harvard, in many other ways than financial". Johnson added. Weld also contributed regularly to the Lucius W. Neiman Fellowship for journalists, according to Johnson. In addition, Weld raised funds for the University as a member of two Harvard Campaign committees.

"He was a dear, nice man, who was always warm and sincere with everyone," said Atlantic Monthly Press Managing Editor Natile Greenberg, who consulted with Weld on his book, "Moxie," which described his trans-Atlantic solo trip. She added Weld may have been planning a second, semi-autobiographical non-fiction work.

Career

Weld won a Silver Star while fighting in World War11. After the war, he worked as a reporter for the old Boston Herald and Boston Post.

Weld then published the International Herald Tribune in Paris for 18 months, returning to buy three small newspapers in Essex County, Mass.

Ten years later he sold his news holdings and gave a large part of his proceeds to the University, Johnson said.