Four Women Booters Named First Team All-Ivy

Seniors Greeley, Landry, Larson and Freshman Whitley Honored

By Jessica Dorman

Four Harvard women's soccer players have been named to the All Ivy team.

The Crimson (14-3-1 overall, 4-1-0 Ivies) finished behind Brown (14-1-1, 5-0-0) in the race for the Ivy crown, but copped four first-team selections compared to three for the Bruins.

Harvard's selections covered the field evenly. Named to the squad selected by the Ivy coaches were forward Kelly Landry, midfielder Jennifer Greeley, back Inga Larson, and goalie Tracee Whitley.

Whitley was also named Ivy League Rookie of the Year.

"Four out of eleven places on the first team that's not too bad," said Crimson Coach Bob Scalise. "The people who made the first team were really deserving of it."

Deja Vu

Three of the Harvard selections had been named to the All-Ivy squad before. Seniors Larson (two years), Landry (three years), and Greeley (four years) came up together in 1981, and formed the heart of a Harvard squad that made it to the NCAA quarterfinals this year.

The booters topped the University of Vermont, 2-1, in the first round of the tournament, but lost a heart-breaker to the University of Massachusetts, 1-0, in the round of eight.

Greeley became the first women's soccer player ever to be named to the All-Ivy First Team four years in a row.

Princeon's Lynette Prescott was also honoreu for her fourth consecutive year.

The players stressed, however, that the Cantabs' successful season was a result not only of individual talent, but also of cohesive teamwork.

"This is a way of proving that we have skill and talent on the team because just a few strong people don't make a team," explained Larson. "You can't make a first team unless you have support from the whole team."

Co-Captain Greeley anchored the Crimson midfield acting as the coordinator of the passing game and chipping in with four assists along the way.

Landry led the squad in scoring on the season with 15 goals, two assists, and 32 points while establishing new Harvard all-time career scoring marks (73 goals, 24 assists, 170 points).

The Lexington, Mass, native now holds every Harvard scoring mark in the record book.

Larson was Harvard's sweeper, leading an exceptional defense that kept the pressure off Whitley, and contributing to the offense with four goals and three assists.

Whitley's numbers speak for themselves. The freshman registered an amazing 0.48 goals-against average, and set new Harvard marks of eight goals allowed and 126 saves on the year.

The goalkeeper also set a new Harvard mark with 10 shutouts on the year. Whitley also ran up an outstanding (.940) save percentage.

"I don't think there's any question about Tracee," said Scalise. "I don't know if she was a unanimous selection but she certainly should have been."

"I'm very excited and thrilled--it's fantastic," said the Raleigh, N.C. native. "But I never would have gotten that if it hadn't been for the entire team."

Rounding out the first team were forwards Sharon Matthews (Dartmouth) and Meagan McMahon (Cornell), midfielders Prescott (Princeton) and Gretchen Orr (Brown), and backs Teresa Abrahamsohn (Brown), Dani Schultz (Princeton), and Colleen O'Day (Brown).

Abrahamsohn, a senior, was named Ivy League Player of the Year.

Two other Harvard players received All-Ivy recognition. Freshman midfielder Karin Pinezich was named to the second team, and senior defender Joan Elliott received an honorable mention.