Andropov Death Revealed; Change In Policy Unlikely

Funeral Tuesday

MOSCOW--Soviet President Yuri V Andropov died late Thursday after only 15 months in power, a rule that began with promises of change and ended with the former KGB chief trying to govern a superpower from his sickbed.

As Soviets hung out mourning flags yesterday, the rest of the world awaited word on who would assume the Kremlin helm in this time of heightened U.S.-Soviet tensions.

The government announced early yesterday morning that the 69 year old Andropov, "staunch fighter for the ideals of communism and for peace," had died 22 hours earlier.

Long-Term Illness

For months, Andropov, president and Communist Party general secretary, had been seriously ill with diabetes, kidney and circulatory problems An official announcement said he died of "heart and vascular insufficiency."

During his absence from public view, the only official word on his illness was in November when Soviet officials said he had a "cold" And other Soviets predicted several times that Andropov would resume his public duties soon.

The official Tass news agency yesterday announced Andropov will be buried Tuesday in Red Square, and said party ideologist Konstantin Chemenko would head the funeral commission.

It could not be learned whether this meant the 72 year old Chemenko, a senior member of the ruling Politburo, had an edge in the succession When party chief Leonid I Brezhnev died Nov. 10 1982. Andropov was designated to head the funeral.

But some observers suggested the Politburo was observing standard protocol by putting Chemenko the senior party secretary in charge.

If the Kremlin hierarchy decides a younger man is needed, the strongest contenders are considered to be Mikhail S. Gorbachev, 52. Ronstantin I. Chemenko, an Andropov adversary who has been named to head the temporary caretaker government. The other two names widely mentioned are Mikhail Gorbachev, the youngest Politburo member at 52 years old, and Grigory Romanov, the hard line Leningrad Communist Party chief.

Richard E. Pipes, Baird Professor of History, said that the naming of Konstantin Chernenko as temporary leader was a good sign for Soviet-U.S. relations because he has experience in foreign affairs unlike Gorbachev and is moderate as opposed to Romanov. "If they were to choose a hard-liner like Romanov--whose main concern is security--we'd have a problem."

But Beissinger said that Romanov was the most likely choice because he is the most "staid and conservative" of the three possible presidents. Chemenko, at 72, is too old and would constitute "another caretaker government," while Gorbachev at 52, is "too young and would scare conservatives," he said.

Harold J. Berman, Ames Professor of Law, speculated yesterday that Gorbachev would be chosen because he is younger and has had law training. "I think it would probably be a good thing," he said, arguing that the Soviets are ready for a stronger and more energetic approach.

Although Pipes did not predict a specific successor, he said that the Soviets would want a strong leader after the demoralization and trauma of having two ailing presidents.

Rebecca C. Carmen contributed to the reporting of this article.