Dunster House Will Help Employee Robbed of Savings

By John N. Tate

The Masters of Dunster House just week begun a drive to raise funds for a house cafeteria employee who was robbed of her life savings last October.

In their appeal Raoul and Phyllis Bott called on every Dunster student and Senior Common Room member for contributions of show our solidarity, as well as express our gratitude to her and through her, to all members of our dining hall staff.

The Botts hope each student will contribute three of five dollars and each Senior Common Room member six to 10, in order to raise between $1,350 and $2,250.

The cafeteria employee was kidnapped at gunpoint last October 19, taken to her bank, and forced to withdraw her savings of $9,000.

A few days late, in a possibly related incident, her apartment was her daughter suffered a cracked rib, according to the Botts. Shortly thereafter she "left for her native Haiti in a state of mental collapse."

Professor Bott said he was outraged by the daughter's medical expenses. This is an example of a society that just doesn't give a damn," he said, adding. "There should be emergency medical service that is free."

The worker went back to her job in late November, and cafeteria staffers say she has "returned to her old self." "She's so nice," said one worker," and what happened was so horrible."

Voluteers staffed a table in the dining half to accept gifts last Friday and will do so again this weekend. The Botts have asked that all contributions by mail be made payable to the Dunster House Committee.