Reagan's Running?

CAMPAIGN '84

IF HIS "America, Stand Tall" State of the Union Address had left any doubt, President Reagan this week set the New Right's collective mind at rest with his announcement that he would seek reelection. We're glad he did.

Given that Reagan's candidacy was inevitable (as every serious indication suggested), the California's declaration is the first step toward ousting him in November. So long as Reagan distanced himself from the scrapping of the eight Democratic contenders, the President's prestige was enhanced. People most strongly advocated the Presidential candidacy of Sen. Edward M. Kennedy '54 (D-Mass.) when he appeared most determined not to run. Once a candidate, though, Kennedy witnessed the gradual dissolution of his popular image.

Similarly, although to date Reagan apparently has avoided familiar political obstacles, he is now far more likely to draw strict scrutiny-an examination that should help highlight his misguided priorities and inattention to detail.

Reagan has always been more popular than his policies. A recent New York Times/CBS News survey indicates that the views of registered Democrats and Republicans differ only slightly on specific issues. Instead, it apparently in Reagan's charisma that accounts for much of his strong support. Most of the press has been preoccupied with Reagan's mystique in general;, his undeclared candidacy in particular. Now that Reagan has discarded his veil of secrecy and declared himself a candidate, he should be judged as one.