Respect for Gays

THE MAIL

To the Editors of the Crimson:

It is extremely unfortunate that a few people in South House feel a need to violently rip posters from bulletin boards and doors. That this violence has been selectively and consistently aimed at those posters advertising Gay and Lesbian Awareness Day is regrettable beyond words.

Homophobia is a very real problem among many people. Most individuals are homophobic due to their socialization. When exposed to homosexuality and bisexuality in real, healthy and loving relationships their perspective changes. As they begin to realize that people they care about are gay, their perspective changes. With time and patience, people confront their own fears and prejudices and become at least tolerant, if not accepting.

Homosexuality and bisexuality are not diseases. They are not mental illnesses to be cured. That at least one out of 10 Americans is gay is not a statistic that will diminish. These people are no better or worse then the rest of society as a result of their sexual preferences.

Many homosexuals, bisexuals, and heterosexuals have postered extensively all over campus in the last week. This proliferation of postering has occured because people feel a real need to support gay and lesbian activities and make people aware of them. In South House, posters have lasted for as few as one and one half hours, and few have survived longer than a day. This ripping of posters is a very real and serious form of psychological violence. To participate in it or simply to stand silently by is to wage psychological warfare against other members of the Harvard/Radcliffe community. To discount the effect of these selectively violent actions is to be blind to the power of psychological abuse. And psychological abuse, if allowed to escalate, frequently leads to physical violence.

At one particular site, posters were continually put up and landed one half, two, and eight hours, respectively. The individual or individuals who ripped down the poster left the crumpled relics on the floor and were kind enough to leave this handwritten note.

TO THE GLSA

WE DON'T

HATE OR RESENT

YOU, PLEASE,

THOUGH, STOP

BOMBARDING US

WITH UNNECESSARY

POSTERS!! I know one too many.

If GLAD posters were not absolutely necessary then they would not be taken down and notes like this would not be left. That this occured in South House should be considered a personal offense to all of us living here.

The Gay/Lesbian community expects the right to live and experience the simple warmth of human love without fear.

Homosexuals, bisexuals, and heterosexuals, who understand the importance of human love and of freedom to live without fear strongly urge everyone to consider the significance of the poster incidents--and to support and participate in GLAD events.

This letter is not signed because as a member of the Harvard/Radcliffe community we can only fear psychological abuse and retribution from the people who cannot control their violent impulses. It is regrettable to live in a community where anonymity is a necessity.

(This letter was distributed in South House on Saturday, April 14, 1984.)