‘A Big Win’: Harvard Expands Kosher Options in Undergraduate Dining Halls

Top Republicans Ask Harvard to Detail Plans for Handling Campus Protests in New Semester

Harvard’s Graduate Union Installs Third New President in Less Than 1 Year

Harvard Settles With Applied Physics Professor Who Sued Over Tenure Denial

Longtime Harvard Social Studies Director Anya Bassett Remembered As ‘Greatest Mentor’

PENN

It Jerry Berndt's not the finest coach in the Ivy league right now, then Price Waterhouse switched the envelope.

Because in just three years at the University at Pennsylvania. Berndt has has engineered one of the most marked turnarounds in Division I-AA history.

He's thought the Quakers their first back to back Ivy football tiles in history (on 1982 and 1983), and his team's 13 wins the past two seasons are Penn's most in the post-World War II era.

A former Dartmouth assistant, Berndt has brought wide-open football back to Philadelphia, and it's a new tradition that many believe will result in a third straight league crown this year.

The squad, which two years ago shared the title with Dartmouth and Harvard and last year with the Crimson, returns 12 starters from last year's 6-3-1 team.

Only Princeton and Columbia return more starters, but neither returns as many to the skill positions.

Quarterback is rich in experience with last year's starter, John McGeehan, back in blue and red, Junior Jim Crocicchia, who ably backed up McGeehan a year ago and even engineered one of Penn's wins, is also there.

And the Quakers will have the top two tailbacks of a year ago--Steve Ortman and Stan Koss--returning to handle the ball.

Although there's an opening at fullback, many believe both Ortman and Koss will line up together in the backfield, with whoever gets beat out of tailback becoming the big blocking back.

Penn's also blessed with three returning wide receivers and a returning tight end.

The only problem, then, is an offensive line that needs rebuilding.

So that all adds up to possibly the finest offensive unit in the Ivies. But what has insiders at Penn smiling is not the offense but the defense.

Without question, Penn won its two straight Ivy titles with defense. And with seven starters and 21 lettermen returning, defense will again be the key to the Quakers' hopes.

The keys to the defense are All-American candidate Tim Chambers and Co-Captain Kevin Bradley, both starters since their sophomore year.

In two years, Chambers has recorded 11 interceptions from his cornerback position, while from his linebacking post, Bradley has become Penn's all-time leading tackler.

Back with the duo are a bevy of experienced players. Starting with Chambers in the backfield are junior Duane Hewlett and safety Ross Armstrong, a two year starter himself.

At linebacker with Bradley are Denton Walker, a starter last year before being hurt, returning starter Peter Gallagher and Gavin O'Connor.

THE CUBE PREDICTS: First