From the Mailbag

Morris Code

By Marie B. Morris

Well, folks, it's been a while since we cleared out the old mailbag, but with readers back in town and asking thought-provoking questions, it seemed like the right time of year for a little Q-and-A.

Dear Marie:

I've been following them religiously since the beginning of the season, and I have only one more question about the marvelous, fantastic, incredible Detroit Tigers. Is there any stopping these phenomenal, sensational, paragons of athletic ability? --Smug in Straus

Dear Smug: Yes.

Dear Marie: I watched with delight as the Washington Redskins annihilated the New York Giants this past Sunday. In your opinion, is this just a fluke or an actual trend?   --Wondering in Winthrop

Dear Wondering This is an actual trend. Watch for the Giants to go through the season winning two games for every one they lose, and for the Redskins to do the opposite.

Dear Marie: Are you nuts, picking Harvard and Pennsylvania to tie for first place in Ivy League football? Obviously Columbia has the edge on everyone, what with their brand-new stadium and being free of the feeling that with each loss they're letting John Witkowski down.   --New Yorker in NoHo

Dear Gothamite: The new stadium at Baker Field is half-complete, pending the generosity of donors. The Columbia offense is far less well-appointed. And the offense is much better than the defense. Yes, I am nuts, picking a tie.

Dear Marie: I read every story by Jeffrey A. Zucker and I think his writing is just wonderful. What is he like? What does he look like? Is he as sexy as he sounds? Can I meet him? Also, the pictures by Ji. H. Min that go along with those stories are great as well. Could I meet him, too? Even if I can't, will you give them my phone number?   --Melting in Matthews

Dear Melting:

Sports Editor Jeffrey A. Zucker, a former Playgirl centerfold, enjoys tennis and video games. JI H. Min, The Crimson's Photo Chairman, aspires to the same position at The Wall Street Journal and is also a video game aficionado. You can meet both of them in our newsroom tonight and tomorrow night at 7:30 p.m., when you can also learn about the fall comp, Free beer here.