Alum Questioned In Rape/Murder Case

Short Takes

A 1964 Harvard graduate, already facing charges of sexually assaulting a 4-year-old boy, was released by Texas police this past weekend after being held for questioning in the killing of at least five woman and the rape of seven others.

Remsen N. Wolff '62-'64, a freelance photographer, was arrested in Fort Worth last Thursday after one of the rape victims identified his photograph as that of her attacker.

When five other rape victims failed to identify Wolff in lineups on Friday. Fort Worth authorities concluded they did not have sufficient evidence to bring formal charges on any of the murders or rapes.

As police continue their investigation of the crimes, Wolff, 44, awaits legal procedings stemming from a 1983 arrest on charges of fondling and performing oral sex on a 4-year-old boy, published reports indicated.

Wolff's arrest prompted a flurry of press attention in recent days, both in Boston and Texas. Most of the stories trumpeted his Harvard background and the unusual path he followed since finishing his degree in 1964.

After divorcing his wife, by whom he had two children. Wolff moved around and reportedly could not find a steady occupation. Two years ago, Wolff moved to Texas and tried his hand at freelance photography.

A graduate of Phillips Exeter Academy and the son of a prominent New York couple, Wolff lived in a single room in Greenough as a freshman, moved to Eliot House sophomore year, and took a two-year leave of absence. On return, he lived in Cambridge and was affiliated with Dudley House.

"He always struck me as a gentle guy," one of his freshman year hallmates told The Crimson. "I can't imagine Remsen Wolff killing an animal, much less a human being."