New Undergraduate Group Fights Racist Stereotypes

Begins Campaign Tonight With Film

A new undergraduate organization seeking to offer alternatives to the stereotypical view of Blacks presented in movies and the press will kick off its efforts tonight with the showing of a Black history film in the Science Center.

Phoebe A. Koaf '86, one of six students who last summer founded the Association for the Improvement of Minority Images, said that the film, "Black History: Lost, Stolen, or Strayed," reveals the one-sided portrayal of Blacks in past American films.

The film, also sponsored by the Harvard Foundation, is intended as a prelude to Black History Month in February and as a means of introducing the association, said Roaf. Members of the organization will speak before the film is shown.

Focus Beyond Harvard

Another founder, Vanessa K. Thomas 86, said that the group's efforts are not just focused on the Harvard community. "We felt that Black students in the Cambridge and Boston area are being exposed mainly to Blacks who are athletes or entertainers. We hope to broaden their career perspectives by getting Blacks from other fields to speak to them here at Harvard," Thomas said.

The University-funded Harvard Foundation, designed to improve race relations, already sponsors speakers and other events on campus. But founders of the Association for the Improvement of Minority Images said they will be spending most of their time working with teenage minority students off-campus.

Thomas said she feels most members of the Harvard Community are aware of the full range of careers that Blacks pursue.

Wendy R. McCulley '86, also a founder, said that members of the association plan to visit local junior high and high schools to attract students there to lectures and participate in special discussion groups with speakers.

Seeks Funding

Roaf said the organization will apply for funding from the Undergraduate Council and other campus sources. It will also eventually seek funding from outside groups to help finance talks by prominent Black politicians and businessmen.

Tonight's film, which is narrated by comedian Bill Cosby, will be shown in Science Center B from 7:30 to 9 p.m