Columbus Landing Debated

Short Takes

Almost 400 years after Columbus sailed the ocean blue, the actual site of his arrival in the new world is still a subject of hot debate.

The mainstream opinion, first expounded by former Harvard professor Samuel E. Morrison in his 1946 biography of Columbus, holds that Columbus landed on a large South Bahamas island, originally called Watlings Island but renamed San Salvador in honor of its historical role.

But since then the island's right to its title has been challenged, both by those who feel the actual site was further south and by those who feel it was further north.

In a recently published book of essays, The Wake of Columbus, historians present their cases for other islands in the Bahamas.

The controversy all springs from the 16th century loss of Columbus' original voyage journal. Historians now must rely on an abridged third-hand version containing numerous inconsistencies, according to Arne B. Molander, author of one of the essays.

Molander said he believes Columbus landed at Egg Island in the Bahamas, much further north than the island championed by Morrison.

Molander cites a combination of 98 clues compiled from Columbus's journal which support his theory. He claims that other historians, misled by what were probably clerical errors, contradict much of Columbus' journal by naming the Southern Bahamas.

In an accuracy scoring system he devised himself, Molander beat out Morrison by a score of 226 to 54. But he said yesterday that he feels other historians may be reluctant to accept the truth.

"You'd be surprised at all the shenanigans that go on in this game because no one wants to admit they're wrong. But I've got them on the run," the historian said.

Beleagured San Salvador has found a champion in the shape of North Arizona University archaeologist Charles Hoffman, who has been conducting a dig near the alleged landing site. So far Hoffman has found a Spanish coin dating from approximately 1474, broken Spanish crockery, belt buckles, and ship planking nails.

Hoffman says these finds strongly support Morrison's theory and that he plans to return next summer to continue the search for artifacts.