Experts Debate Value Of Standardized Tests

While thousands of Blacks and other minorities across the country are suing their states and the companies which rely on standardized testing, some Harvard officials interviewed this week said the tests are not an accurate reflection, in themselves, of how minorities will function in academic situations.

Studies, conducted at Harvard and elsewhere, have shown that certain minority groups such as Blacks and Hispanics have performed up to 100 points lower on standardized tests.

"The issue is whether or not the tests are inappropriate for measuring the talents of minorities," said Charles V. Willie, professor of education and urban studies at the Graduate School of Education.

Different Rate

Willie maintains that the SAT and other aptitude tests are designed explicitly to measure the first-year performance of students in college or graduate school. But he said Blacks tend to "perform at a different temporal rate" than whites and while their first-year achievements may be lower, by the last year they may out-perform other students.

Willie said the tests themselves must take into account the background of the student taking the test. "We don't have generalized health procedures regardless of symptoms, and we shouldn't have generalized education tests for students of all backgrounds."

Spokesmen from Harvard's admissions offices said they do not use the test alone to determine a student's competency. They said they do not require a minimum standardized test score.

Many say that the tests are useful, as long as they are just one factor in the admissions process. Admissions committees are aware of cultural and background differences that may lead to lower scores for certain minority groups, according to Dean K. Whitla, director Harvard office of Research and Evaluation.

The Educational Testing Service acknowleges the limits of its tests. "Tests have different purposes," said Paul Ramsay, an examiner at ETS. "The problem occurs when people want to use a test designed for one purpose for another."

The standardized test cannot measure motivation or creativity and there is so much more to judge an applicant on, said Thomas Ewing of ETS.

ETS has its own system of eliminating bias in its tests, according to Ramsay. All final editions of exams are reviewed for race and sex biases by an external panel of math and English teachers and experts of mixed ethnic and cultural backgrounds.

Ramsay maintains that there is nothing wrong with the test, but he said those concerned should examine why so many minorities do poorly, not examine whether there are flaws in the tests.