Preps, Alarm Clocks Hot on Campuses

Short Takes

"The Preppy Handbook" may no longer be a bestseller, but according to a recent survey of college students by Levi Straus & Co. the "preppy look" is still the most popular on college campuses.

Out of the group of 6500 students polled, 31 percent said the style made famous by L.L. Bean is the hottest at their school, with 17 percent of the students rating an "earthy" bohemian look as the most popular. High fashion, athletic, and punk looks each got about a 10 percent response.

Stanford University, University of Colorado, New York University, and Vanderbilt College were among the 17 participating schools. Harvard did not take part in the survey.

The blue jeans company also asked respondants to list what items and fashions they considered most essential for life at college. Alarm clocks topped off the list, followed closely by a stereo and--you guessed it--blue jeans. Other essentials for life at college included a back pack, a typewriter, and extra underwear.

The San Francisco-based company sponsored the poll in order to get a feel for the wants and needs of college students, one of its main target groups, said spokesman Dean C. Christon.