Alcohol Policy Debuts at Houses

Students Complain Parties Lack Sophistication

By Louisa C. Lund

The new alcohol policy made its debut at four masters' open houses this week and only one house master took advantage of the end of a two-week moratorium to serve alcohol.

In the wake of a new alcohol policy issued by the college Wednesday banning underage drinking, some masters have decided to remain dry. But other masters are waiting to decide on their policy, and one has let the taps flow again.

The new policy requires that students show proof of age before they can drink at large masters' functions or parties.

Of the open houses this week only Cabot House had alcohol, Yesterday Mather and Dudley which normally serve liquor were dry.

Cabot House has begun serving alcohol under' an honor system, and House Master Myra A. Mayman said she felt the honor system was working. "Most of the people come here to chow down," she said.

Although dry yesterday, Dudley House plans to change as soon as it works out procedures for enforcing the ban. House Master Arthur L. Loeb says that he has done "a preliminary survey and over 80 percent of Dudley House students are over age. So obviously we have to arrange something." Dudley open houses also serve graduate students.

But some houses have, at least for the time, changed their policies in response to the new regulations.

North House has chosen to remain dry, said House Master Hannah M. Hastings. As a result attendence has dropped. "We are looking for creative, new, and different things to do," said Hastings.

Mather was dry, but a final decision has not been made. Students, however, said they wanted wet parties back. "I never even got drunk at the old ones, but it was sort of a relaxing thing to have. It made you feel mature and sophisticated. Now I feel like the Romper Room," said Lisa J. Schkolnick '88 at yesterday's open house.

Houses that are waiting to make a decision are Eliot, Winthrop and Quincy. Leverett House will remain dry. Kirkland, Lowell and Adams are traditionally dry.