Officials Discover 200 Applications

After resolving a computer snafu, admissions officials over the weekend discovered that there are 200 more applicants for the class of, '89 than they originally thought.

Over the weekend, the department discovered that, they received more than the 13,350 applications recorded by their computer. According to Dean of Admissions, and Financial Aids L. Fred Jewett '57, some 200 applicants never filed the preliminary application, a single-page sheet of basic information that is fed into the department's computer system.

The prospective students apparently mailed their applications so late, they probably thought that there was no need for the preliminary application, Jewett explained.

Harvard has been surprised the same way before, Jewett said, but never on such a large scale. "We're thinking of changing the wording to make it a little more clear," he said.

The extra applications bring up Harvard's total to 13,550, an increase of 3 percent over last year. However, Harvard is still 100 applications behind Brown University.