Feds Crack Down On Harvard Loan Defaulters

Short Takes

The U.S. District Attorney's office has filed suit against at least two former Harvard students for failing to repay federally insured student loans, federal authorities announced yesterday.

Assistant District Attorney Joseph S. Ackerstein said Brain W. Harris of Somerville and Virginia B. Cornwall of Cambridge attended the College and are among the nation's delinquent borrowers, although neither is listed in the Harvard Alumni Directory.

The two are among Massachusetts 10 biggest debtors out of 71 thus far referred to the D.A. by the Department of Education, Ackerstein said.

He added that Harris, a probation officer, contacted the Department this week after the suits were filed and is now arranging a schedule for repayment. The office has been unable to locate Cornwall.

Harris allegedly owes the government $10.374.93 for Federaly Insured Student Loans (FISL) and interest, and Cornwall allegedly owes $6868.29.

Neither could be reached for comment yesterday.

The suits filed in Boston and Springfield courts are part of a nationwide crackdown on delinquent borrwers of federal education loans. Ackerstein said.

The officer expects to begin proceeding against another group of similar size shortly, he added.