Harvard May Still Win Beanpot

By Richard S. Eisert

Nobody on the current Harvard hockey team has ever won a Beanpot title or even a Beanpot game.

This weekend, however, they will have a chance to take the revenge that they could not get on the rink.

The Trivia Beanpot, a contest sponcered by WMRE-AM radio in Boston, will put all four Beanpot teams on the air answering trivia questions for charity this weekend in the final round of a mental matchup that began last Sunday.

The teams are asked nine questions in each round, according to captain of the Harvard hockey team, Bradley C. Kwong '85. The winner after two rounds is given $600 to donate to a charity of its choice.

But the team is repeating its unexpected loss on the rink last Monday to Boston University: Harvard's current total (five correct answers) places it behind Boston College and Boston University, each with six correct answers, according to Mark M. Bergeron, assistant director of sports information at Harvard.

"I'm surprised that Harvard's not in first place. They're known for their intelligence," said James T. Madigan, captain of the Northeastern team that is tied with Harvard for last place in the contest.

"We're taking the contest pretty seriously," said Kwong, who added that although Harvard can no longer win the Beanpot hockey title, he is confident the the Crimson will score a victory in the trivia contest.

The contest has been full "verbal checking," according to Kwong.

"It wasn't as intense as the real Beanpot, though still meaningful," Kwong said. "The team had a fun time. ...It was full of spontaneous humor."

Madigan's Boston University team went out and beat Boston College in the real Beanpot finals the day after last Sunday's trivia round. "It's a good way to get pysched for the game."

Kwong said that the team will donate any winnings from the matchup to Phillips Brooks House.