Playoff Speculation

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz.--Major-league baseball owners and players have again deferred action on a proposal to expand the American and National League playoffs to a best-of-seven series, but they say they'll settle the issue by next week.

"I think we'll definitely know, yes or no, by Tuesday." Don Fehr, acting executive director of the players' union, said Friday following 34 hours of negotiations.

The expansion of the playoffs to seven games--two more than the best-of-five format followed since 1969 was the chief topic during bargaining between the union and club owners on a new basic agreement. The old agreement, governing such items as free agency and the players' share of television revenues, expired at the end of last year.

"We're advised that NBC (which will televise the 1985 playoffs) wants a prompt resolution on this," said "Otherwise, we probably wouldn't be talking about it now."

The expanded playoffs are seen by players and owners as a way of increasing revenues for the players pension fund and for the owners who say they are troubled.