Two Bars Could Lose Licenses

City Restrictions

By Daniel B. Wroblewski

In another attempt to respond to community fears over the abundance of liquor-serving restaurants in the city, a Cambridge commission may revoke the licenses of two local bars which have been the subject of many recent complaints.

The Cambridge License Commission tommorrow will hear whether two local proprietors will accept a compromise agreement to restrict the operations of their bars, Man Ray of 21 Brookline Street and Latin-O's of 11-19 Brookline Street. If the proprietors do not accept the compromise, the commission may close the bars down completely.

Residents have complained that the establishments have created too much noise and litter, particularly on weekends. Many are also concerned adding the he has always been willing to meet with the politicians.

Earlier this month, the commission decided to not to grant any new liquor licenses in Harvard Square, Central Square, and the strip along Massachusetts Avenue which connects the two areas. Community groups lobbied extensively to obtain such a ban, believing that stricter controls over liquor-serving establishments are needed.

Tentative Offer

After discussions with the owners of two Cambridge bars, James T. McDavitt, the chairman of the license commission, offered a tentative agreement which would restrict the bars' operations, but would permit them to stay open.

McDavitt requested that they agree to four conditions if they wish to avoid a decision by the full commission:

* that they eliminate all live entertainment, which community residents feel is the primary cause of the noise and litter problems;

* that the bars roll back their hours from 2 a.m. to 1 a.m.;

* that they help finance a police detail from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights to patrol the area in front of their bars;

* that they agree to a probationary period.

McDavitt said the probabtion of Man Ray and Latin-O's would make it easier for the commission to deal with the bars if problems persisted. The bars would also have to agree not to appeal the decision.

Latin-O's owner Juan Cabrera believes that he is being unfairly singled out since other nightclubs and bars in the area contribute to the noise, litter and parking problems.

He and the other proprietor will appear before the commission today and state their feelings on McDavitt's tentative proposal. Cabrera said that he probably would not accept the conditions outlined by the chairman unless they were applied to all the bars in the area. McDavitt said that this would not happen.

"I think [McDavitt] is trying to do his job, but he has alot of pressure from the community," said Cabrera.

The other proprietor could not be reached for comment.

A third bar, T.T. The Bear's Place of 10-18 Brookline Street, has also aroused neighborhood protest but is being considered under a separate hearing.