SPA's Concert Funds May Be Exhausted

'Del Fuegos' Show Used Up $5400 Grant

Despite a crowd of 1000 at Saturday's student-organized Del Fuegos concert, the Student Production Association (SPA) may already have exhausted its funds in only its second show this year.

Although Miller Brewing Company gave the SPA--an auxillary and adjunct organization of the Undergraduate Council--a $5400 grant for a concert series this year, this past weekend's concert and one earlier outdoor show have depleted the fund.

No Problem

But, according to Elizabeth M. Touhey '86, council vice-president and member of the SPA board of directors, there should be no problem obtaining more corporate sponsorships. Beer and athletic companies who cater to student markets set money aside for such projects, she said.

To supplement the budget and create their own capital, the SPA plans to show films and run a disc jockey service for house dances, said Frank J. Rockwood '86, president of the organization. The SPA has a budget of $185, which are the proceeds from a film shown last spring.

Saturday night's concert was "a big boost for us," said Ian M. Bickley '86, an SPA member. "I think we're doing something really good for the Harvard community."

"The Harvard crowd was getting into the band.... Everyone started dancing," said James D. Chung '88, an SPA officer.

The Harvard band Mirror Image opened for the Del Fuegos.

After producing three concerts, Rockwood said he wants to see the SPA present different activities. "Diversification is definitely a key goal. I don't want to be just a rock 'n roll promoter."

Other Plans

Other functions might include intersession trips, a spring weekend celebration and a variety of performances, maybe even a Boston Pops concert, said Rockwood.

Brian R. Melendez '86, council president, said of the SPA, "They've just about worked a miracle. They have succeeded in doing something that many people have tried to do before, but which nobody has ever accomplished."