Stickwomen, Providence Draw Even; 1-1 Tie Sets Crimson Record at 0-2-1

PROVIDENCE--Bambi Taylor's pass was perfect. It slipped through a horde of Providence defenders and came to rest on the stick of sophomore wing Cindi Ersek.

With four minutes remaining in the game, Ersek squared the ball, then slammed it into the left side of the net, pulling the Harvard women's field hockey team into a 1-1 tie with Providence Saturday.

After the end of regulation play and two overtimes, the score remained the same.

Ersek's goal was only the second of the year for the stickwomen who improved their record to 0-2-1. Providence is now 2-3-1.

Crimson Coach Nita Lamborghini saw great improvement in her squad since its last game, a 3-0 loss to Northeastern.

"What characterized today's game was team effort," Lamborghini said. "You can't win a game with a single great performance...today, everyone played well."

Although Providence outshot it 12-11, Harvard consistently kept the ball on the Providence end of the field and had 15 penalty corners to Providence's 13.

Crimson junior Gia Barresi made frequent drives from her left wing post and expertly inbounded many corner passes.

Harvard's defense showed marked improvement over last week's lacadaisical performance at Northeastern. Defenders cleared balls that in the last game they would have batted out of bounds.

"Our anticipation of passes was a lot better," said senior Michele Ippolito.

"We've gone from a loss to a tie and now we're going to start winning" said Co-Captain Alicia Clifton.

For a while it looked as if the Crimson wouldn't even salvage a tie Saturday.

The first half ended 0-0 despite fine shots by forward Kate Felson and Taylor near the end of the half.

In the second half, however, the Lady Friars capitalized on an un-characteristic Crimson defensive lapse.

At 27:32, Friar forward Cheryl Adams outran the Crimson defense and slammed a shot on Harvard goalie Denise Katsias. Katsias made a brilliant block but her defense didn't cover it. Friar Midfielder Kerrie Fissette trapped the rebounded ball and plugged it into the net.

If it weren't for Ersek's goal four minutes later, the Crimson would have lost a game it dominated.

THE NOTEBOOK: The game was interupted briefly when a German shepard puppy ran off with the game ball...Thirty fans were on hand at Hendricken Field for the contest.