Protesters, Tutu to Share Stage

200 Tickets Left

Bishop Desmond Tutu, the outspoken recipient of the 1984 Nobel Peace Prize, will make his second Harvard appearance within a year on Friday as part of a month-long speaking tour of the U.S..

The final two hundred free tickets to the South African bishop's 7:30 p.m. address at the Kennedy School will be distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis beginning at 9 a.m. today at the Holyoke Center Ticket Office.

The 250 tickets set aside for distribution yesterday were scooped up just moments after the event's organizers opened their doors at 1 p.m.

"There were more people in line then there were tickets," said Noah M. Berger '89, a press coordinator for the event, which is being co-sponsored by the Harvard-Radcliffe Southern Africa Solidarity Committee and the Institute of Politics (IOP).

"We gave the tickets away in two batches, half [yesterday] and the others [today], as we did not expect to run out of them right away," said Sarah W. Farnsworth, a forum coordinator at the IOP.

Those who cannot secure a ticket will be able to watch Tutu's speech on a large projection screen erected in Memorial Hall, event organizers said. Closed circuit may also be shown in Gutman Hall, they added.

An outspoken critic of the South African apartheid state, Tutu is expected to speak about the failure of governmental policies in his homeland and to attack Harvard's investment policies in that country.

Tutu, who visited Harvard last spring, originally was scheduled to appear Jan. 24, but organizers said that they moved the date to allow students to hear Tutu when they were not taking examinations.