Spikers Outplay Green, Nab Second Ivy Victory

By Michael J. Lartigue

Last year the Harvard women's volleyball team did not win a single game in the Ivy League, but things are starting to look up this year--as the Crimson has won two of its first three league contests.

Harvard improved its record to 3-7 (2-1 Ivy) Saturday at Dartmouth by defeating the Big Green in a four-setter, 15-4, 15-6, 0-15, 15-7.

The Crimson used a consistent offense and defense to destroy Dartmouth, and the spikers also used Manda Schossberger as a back-row spiker to throw the Big Green off.

"[Back-row spiking] worked a lot, it kind of freaked them out," Schossberger said. "We were passing and communicating very well with each other. We had pretty good coverage throughout the match."

After walloping Dartmouth in the first two sets, Harvard Coach Wayne Lem sent in the subs to play the third set.

"It was a good experience for them, because they are going to be needed down the stretch," sophomore Captain Maia Forman said.

The Crimson is a very young team, with two seniors, three juniors, four sophmores and five freshman on the roster.

"We tried a lot of things that we have been working on in practice [such as short sets and back-row spiking]," Forman said. "We executed some plays very well, winning was good for us."

The spikers will try to keep on winining when they host Yale University and Williams at the Malkin Athletic Center tomorrow night.