Mets Win World Series

Harvard Mets Fans Storm Yard; Red Sox Supporters Mourn

A mob of more than 100 Yardlings last night celebrated the New York Mets' World Series victory by storming through Harvard Yard and into the Square, proclaiming "we're number one," and singing "New York, New York," as Boston Red Sox fans mourned in their rooms.

Harvard students, faculty and administrators spent last night gathered around television sets while the Mets dueled the Red Sox at Shea Stadium in New York.

Before the game, wary professors shied away from predicting the outcome. Professor of Law Alan M. Dershowitz said, "I'm not very good at predictions. I had a victory party Saturday night for the Red Sox and the champagne was chilled for a win. For what it's worth, I'm planning a victory party tonight."

Michael J. Sandel, associate professor of government, hit closer to themark. "I'm rooting for the Red Sox but sadlypredicting the Mets. I have no bets, just hopes."

Some students placed unorthodox bets on theoutcome of last night's game. Mark D. Nielsen '86,a first-year student at the Law School, wageredwith his New York room-mate: "Next week I have togive an oral argument in front of 140 people, andif the Mets win, I have to give it with a Mets capon." Another pair of roommates bet a black-tiedinner on the outcome of the game.

Pre-game hype included a screaming match at theFreshman Union in which Red Sox fans shouted downNew York backers.

While Mets fans were happily prophesyingvictory, Red Sox fans dealt with their team'smisfortune in different ways. One freshman, DavidBoit '90, stalked out of his room in the sixthinning, preferring to fold his laundry than tocontinue watching the game.

Another ardent Sox supporter, Peter R. Kagan'90 left in the fourth inning to play intramuralbasketball, toting along his portable T.V. set. Hereturned in the seventh inning, slamming down theset and declaring "Give me a brew. I need to drownmy sorrows."

After the game ended, jubilant Mets fansconverged on the statue of John Harvard in theYard. They placed two Mets pennants in thestatue's arms and a New York cap on his head