University Honors Bok By Planting Tree in Yard

Although his alma mater is Stanford, President Derek C. Bok now has roots at Harvard as well.

In a brief ceremony attended by members of the Corporation and the Board of Overseers Monday morning, a new tree was dedicated in the Yard to Bok, commemorating his 15 years as president.

The tree will soon be joined by a plaque set in the ground around the tree.

The pencil-thin tree--which was planted Saturday--stands in front of Matthews Hall, across the path from an oak and a maple which were planted in front of Grays Hall before the 350th celebration last month.

The Yard's latest addition, however, is a horse-chestnut tree.

"We feel that it's good to have diversity in the types of trees that we have in the Yard," said George Oommen, senior property development officer.

These three new trees partially replace six trees which died in the last few years from elm disease and Hurricane Gloria, which struck last year, Oommen said. As funds become available, more trees will be planted in the Yard, he said.

Oommen would not say how much the horse-chestnut tree cost.

Standing in the same spot as a tree ravaged by Gloria last fall, the horse chestnut will provide needed shade for the Yard, Oommen said.

But the tree presently has a mere seven leaves.

"It's balder than he [Bok] is," said Robyn Fass '90 of Canaday Hall.

The tree's near-nakedness is attributed to its recent transportation from New Jersey, Oommen said.

It is scheduled to flower in time for Commencement in June, and Oommen said the tree is in perfect health.

Student reactions to the new tree have beenmixed. Residents of Matthews Hall said they werenot overjoyed, having been awakened early in themorning by the installation of the tree.

"The early morning banging of the plantingcreated far greater expectations than this treehas met," said Susan Glasser '90, a Matthewsresident.

Other students found the tree inspiring. SaidF. Jackson Lewis '89, a resident of Eliot Housewho lived in Matthews last year: "Inauspiciousnow, it will astound future generations in itsgrace and beauty.