River Scum Captures Halloween Crew Race

With a blistering time of 14 minutes, 50 seconds, a crew dressed up as river scum won the third annual Radcliffe novice-varsity women's Halloween regatta yesterday afternoon on the Charles River.

Finishing close behind were the Convict, Bat, and Birth Control crews with times of 15:03, 15:25, and 15:31, respectively.

The race--a two and a quarter mile course from the MIT boathouse to Newell Boathouse combining varsity and novice rowers in boats together--was created three years ago by novice Coach Holly Hatton, who dressed up as a punk this year.

"I came up with the idea mainly to get the varsity and novices together in a fun way," Hatton said. "Most novices feel like it's the highlight of their fall because they get the chance to row in a boat with more power and control."

The race winners, River Scum, and the Indians--the crew placing first in the costume contest--both won candy for their respective efforts.

"It's really great fun," varsity heavyweight rower Andrea Black said. "Sometimes crew gets taken too seriously. The race is a great way to relax and to get to know the novices."

The race winners were novice and varsity rowers Kathe Ashenbrenner, Amy Pare, Serena Eddy, Mary McCagg, Karen Weltchek, Joanna Bench, Sarah Touborg, Jennifer Grossman, and Kenni Feinberg.

Other competing crews dressed as punks, oars, and beach people.