The Reporter's Notebook

By Michael D. Nolan, The Crimson Staff

GOPher Goes to Congress

Thinking of a spending a term or two in the U.S. House of Representatives? Well, if you're a Democrat, you may have second thoughts about deciding to spend your college years studying in Harvard Yard. In last week's elections to the U.S., only two Harvard grads won spots in Congress and both were Republicans.

Amory Houghton '50 and Fred Grandy '70--yes, Fred Grandy--will spend at least two years in the hallowed halls of Congress courtesy of their constituents in New York and lowa, respectively. Houghton comes from a long line of Harvard men and is the former chairman of Corning Glassware. The former Eliot House resident also got an MBA in 1952.

Grandy, known to millions worldwide as the bumbling and hapless yeoman purser "Gopher" Smith on TV's "Love Boat", Grandy graduated magna cum laude in English and gave the Ivy Oration. Grandy, who roomed with David Eisenhower while at Phillips Exeter Academy, said during an interview last year with The Crimson that he thought the Gopher image would help him in his quest for election.

"It takes a while for people to separate the two, but most people [running for office] spend 75 cents on the dollar trying to get people to remember their name," Grandy said. "I don't have that problem. Once I talk with people, the Gopher problem is gone."

But don't despair, liberal Harvardians. There may be hope for you if your eye is on the upper chamber. Democrat Timothy E. Wirth '61 Tuesday was promoted from the House to the Senate by the people of Colorado.

Eager Beavers

Meanwhile, a group of Quincy students eager to follow in Grandy's footsteps have leapt at the chance to run for a vacated a seat in the Undergraduate Council. In all, 11 would-be statesmen have entered the fray to replace Douglas W. Romance, who Eisai said found the council's weekly meetings to be too time-consuming.

Council Chairman Richard S. Eisai '88 termed the response to the vacancy "truly impressive." Only seven undergrads vied for the five Quincy House seats during the regular October elections to the council. "That's pretty striking. It shows that people are really interested in the council," Eisai says.

Keep Them on Their Toes

Undergraduate Council Chairman Eisai says that student groups have made "a record number" of requests this year for grants to a committee controlling the coffers filled by that $10 charge on our termbills.

Eisert, though, reassures that undergrads need not worry about the council sub-committee throwing the money away. He refers specifically to some investigative work the council did a few years back which resulted in a few saved dollars.

The council, it seems, had received a request from a club to fund a visit to Harvard by Ella Grasso, the first female governor of Connecticut. But even the student government of mighty Harvard did not have the resources to bring her to Cambridge.

"Research by the finance committee revealed that the speaker was no longer living," Eisai said. "They decided to reject the grant on that basis." Eisai promises that this year's grants committee will scrutinize requests for funding with equal vigor.

Sincerely, Your Pen Pal, Derek

When the party's over and the guests are gone, the work has just begun. Like the diligent host he is, President Derek C. Bok knew that he had to send thank-you notes to all the people who helped make Harvard's 350th anniversary celebration in September possible. Accordingly, he penned epistles to all of those students who ended their summer vacations early and came to Cambridge to participate in the three days of festivities.

"You were most generous to give your time to the effort, and you should feel pleased with your part in the endeavor," wrote Bok in a letter sent to students on November 7.

"Never have I received so many letters conveying such enthusiasm for an experience at the University. We both know how much energy and labor were required to make the proceedings work," read the letter.

Although it could not be determined yesterday how many students received the letter, University officials have estimated the number of students who participated in the 350th celebration at about 1000.