Roger Clemens Named MVP

Mattingly Comes in Second in Balloting

Roger Clemens, who won his first 14 decisions this season and wound up with a 24-4 record in leading the Boston Red Sox to their division title, capped his dream year Tuesday by being voted the league's Most Valuable Player Award.

In becoming the first starting pitcher in 15 years to earn the award, the 24-year-old right-hander captured 19 of 28 first-place votes for 339 points. He easily outdistanced Yankee first baseman Don Mattingly and Sox outfielder Jim Rice in the balloting conducted by the Baseball Writers Association of America.

"I thought I did have a pretty good chance even though I was a starting pitcher," said Clemens from his home in Katy, Tex. He conceded, though, that the news still was a bit of a shock. "I guess I did put an exclamation mark in all those writers' minds."

Only seven other major-league pitchers have won the MVP award since the Cy Young Award for outstanding pitcher was instituted in 1956. Two of those seven were relief pitchers. The last starter to take both awards was Vida Blue of the Oakland A's in 1971.

In this year's balloting, Mattingly, the 1985 most valuable player, had 5 first-place votes and 258 points as he failed in a bid to become the first to win the award in consecutive years since the Yankees' Roger Maris in 1960-61.

Rice, who won the award in 1978, was third with 4 first-place votes and 241 points in the balloting by two writers in each of the 14 league cities. Each writer lists 10 players with 14 points for each first-place vote, 9 for second, 8 for third, and so forth. The vote was taken before postseason play began.

Returning after surgery to his right shoulder in 1985, Clemens became the Boston stopper. The Red Sox did not lose more than four games in a row all this past season. Clemens followed 14 of their losses with a victory.

He also did the following:

. Set a major-league record by striking out 20 batters in a game against the Seattle Mariners April 29.

. Led the majors in victories and topped the American League with the 2.48 earned run average.

. Struck out 238 batters, second only to Seattle's Mark Langston, who fanned 245.

. Became only the third American League pitcher to win the Cy Young Award unanimously, joining Detroit's Denny McLain, 1968, and the Yankees' Ron Guidry, 1978.

"I've got a lot of work to do to get ready for next year," said Clemens, who added that he had something else to look forward to before spring training--becoming a father. "The baby's due within another seven to 10 days," he said.

Clemens, a No. 1 draft pick who signed a couple of weeks after he pitched Texas to the College World Series championship in 1983, silenced many critics who believe that the MVP award should go to an everyday player rather than a pitcher.

In addition to his 19 first-place votes, he received 5 seconds, 2 thirds, 1 fourth and 1 sixth. He, Mattingly and Rice were the only players listed on all ballots.

"There were several outstanding pitchers in the league this year, but only one Roger Clemens," the Boston manager, John McNamara, said.