Ruggers Ready for Yale Game

Harvard Seeks to Revenge 1985 Loss

By Casey J. Lartigue jr.

The Yale rugby club is full of thieves.

And they know it. They proved it to the world when they swiped last year's game from the Harvard rugby club, 17-16, with a last-minute, come-from-behind victory over the ruggers.

Last year, Yale erupted for 17 unanswered points in the final 20 minutes, including a penalty kick after time had expired, to slip by the Crimson for the first time since 1979.

"We definitely feel we were the better team last year," said Harvard Coach Martyn Kingston. "And we have to make up for it. The game will be a war."

"We were the far better team," Co-Captain Jon Israel said. "We just fell apart in the second half."

Harvard is fresh off a 28-4 whipping of Columbia, but will be severely tested by an experienced Yale squad. Yale has several good foreign players, including Captain John Shields of Scotland, a candidate for All-Ivy honors.

"[Shields] is an excellent kicker and a very good player," Kingston said "The kicking game will definitely be a key."

But things aren't hopeless for Harvard. "They are very big and very skilled, but not very mobile," Kingston said. "The key for us is to tackle low and be quick."

A win for Harvard (4-5) would give the team a .500 record for the eighth straight year.

"It's my last game as a captain," Israel said, "and I want to go out as a winner."

The game starts at 11 a.m. Saturday at Soldiers Field. The B-side plays at 8:30 a.m. and alumni play at 9:30 a.m. The alumni contest will feature of Harvard's 1981 NCAA finalist and 1984 NCAA champion clubs.

Radcliffe

The Radcliffe rugby club had a much easier meeting with Yale a year ago. Radcliffe's B-side defeated Yale's A-side 9-0 as Radcliffe'-s A-side took the day off.

But this year's contest could provide more of a challenge, because the women Elis are an improved team.

"Apparently, they are pretty strong, but we are ready for a good game," Co-Captain Gillian Caldwell said.

Radcliffe meets Yale tomorrow at 3 p.m. at Soldiers Field.