Arriving at Last

Silly Putty

By Jonathan Putnam, Special to The Crimson

CHESTNUT HILL--The emotion at the final buzzer was the same: complete dejecton.

Five members of the Harvard basketball team slumped to the Roberts Center court, each falling in a different pose yet all thinking the same thought: "We should have had that one."

Around them, the victory-drunk B.C. Eagles danced with joy, happy to escape with an 87-86 victory at home, happy that the Crimson had neglected to commit an intentional foul in the last 12 seconds, just plain happy.

And after the Harvard cagers got over their initial dejection, they had a lot to be happy about, too. Crimson Coach Pete Roby went in turn to each player who was still lying prone, picked him up, and slapped him on the butt. "Chin up, guys," he seemed to be saying, "you lost the battle but together we're all going to win this war."

The Harvard men's basketball team fell to 0-3 on this young season with its heart-breaking loss at B.C. The record stirs up memories of last year's Crimson squad, which finished a sorry 6-20.

The comparison truly ends there, however. "You could say we were beaten in this game," Crimson guard Mike Gielin said, "while last year we just lost the games."

Harvard did not play well on the road last year. Harvard did not show poise at the end of its games last year. Harvard did not stay in games after its opponents had made big runs last year.

All that has changed. And while the Crimson cagers still have a ways to go before they can match the play of the 1984-'85 team--which challenged for the Ivy title--they've made huge, huge steps in the proper direction.

The Crimson pushed the ball up the court all night, taking it to the home favorites, taking it to a squad which only a few years ago was a regular in the NCAA final-16.

A number of individuals annouced their presence loudly last night. Senior Co-Captain Arne Duncan--who took last year off--scored a career-high 29 points on scorching nine-for-12 shooting from the floor and nine-for-nine from the foul line.

To that team-high total he added six rebounds, a team-high seven assists and a team-high three steals. In only his third game back after a year away from the game, Duncan turned in a great performance.

A pair of other Crimson front-court men--juniors who arrived together two years back amid high hopes but have generally disappointed until now--also "arrived", for real this time, last night.

Forward Kyle Dodson seemed uncomfortable and slightly bewildered on the court most of last year. But last night, the 6-ft., 4-in. big man knew exactly what he was doing, going up strong on all of his power moves and playing an all-around mentally tough game.

"I feel totally comfortable out there," Dodson said. "There were times last year when I felt really good, but it seems like I'm always `on' now."

Dodson contributed 10 points, two rebounds and three assists to the Harvard effort last night, but the significance of his play runs far deeper.

Center Bill Mohler also posted one of his best collegiate outings. Although he fouled out after only 20 minutes of action--and his presence was missed down the stretch--Mohler grabbed a team-high eight rebounds and blocked a pair of shots in key spots.

Roby had the same thing to say about each of his junior big men: "His performance shows that he's now arrived as a major college player." In both cases, Roby's right.

And while they still have a way to go, the Crimson cagers as a team may well have arrived last night as a major college basketball team.

After a year-long absence.