Undefeated Icemen Brush by Colgate, 5-2

Freshman Young Nets Two as Crimson Rolls to 7-0

By Mark Brazaitis, Special to The Crimson

HAMILTON, N.Y.--Before last night, C.J. Young wasn't exactly putting the fear of Harvard into opposing goalies. Or making people forget his predecessor, Tim Smith, the Crimson's high-scoring first-line right wing.

In Harvard's first six games, Young, a freshman, had recorded a mere assist--a far cry from Smith's 28 goals of a year ago.

But last night, Young scored two decisive goals and added an assist to lift the Harvard men's hockey team to a 5-2 victory over Colgate in front of 2800 spectators at dark and cavernous Starr Rink.

In capturing its fourth road win of the year, the Crimson (7-0 overall, 7-0 ECAC) remained all alone in first place in the ECAC. Meanwhile, the Red Raiders (8-2 overall, 3-2 ECAC) fell into the middle of the league pack.

"This is a tough place to play for a lot of teams," Harvard Coach Bill Cleary said. "But we didn't lose our poise. Our team has a lot of desire and a lot of spunk."

"Harvard's got a great team," Colgate Coach Terry Slater said. "They're the best team we've played all year. I thought we outplayed them in the first period, but they scored twice."

The Crimson faces Cornell tomorrow in Ithaca, New York, before travelling to Brown Wednesday and to Minnesota-Duluth Friday for two weekend games.

Last night, both Young and his left-wing partner, Lane McDonald, netted two goals. Tim Barakett added another, and goalie Dickie McEvoy, making his sixth straight start, recorded 24 saves to pace the visitors.

Goalie John Devon, who began the season alternating in the Harvard net with McEvoy but injured his knee two weeks ago, dressed for last night's contest and reported that he was ready to play. But Cleary said McEvoy will likely start against Cornell tomorrow with Devon going against Brown later in the week.

"Cornell's the worst place for a goalie to play," McEvoy said. "I can hear the crowd already."

Last night's sell-out crowd was quieted early when MacDonald punched in a shot of a pretty pass from center Allen Bourbeau with just 41 seconds gone in the game.

Barakett followed 10 minutes later when Eddie Krayer flipped a pass to him from behind the Raider net. Barakett, standing to the right of Colgate goalie Wayne Cowley, who finished with 33 saves, took the puck and flipped it past the flailing goalie.

Harvard went into the dressing room with a 2-1 lead--after Colgate's freshman star, Steve Spott, rifled a shot past McEvoy at the end of the period--but Young turned on the heat in the second period.

With 10 minutes left in the second period, Bourbeau took the puck into the left corner. He was smothered by Raider defensemen, but managed to slip a pass to Young in front of the Colgate net.

Young whalloped the puck home.

He added his second goal of the evening nine minutes later after pounding a rebound of the Krayer shot past Cowley.

Colgate center Doug Davis closed the gap to 4-2 with nine minutes gone in the last period when his shot from 40 feet on the right eluded McEvoy's outstretched mitt. But McEvoy shut down the Raiders thereafter.

"He played super," Cleary said of the senior goalie. "They had some good opportunities and he came up real big on some hard shots. He's learning to let them play him before he plays them. He sometimes overreacts because he's so darned quick."

McDonald finished the Crimson scoring with less than two minutes left in the game and Harvard--after a Butch Cutone elbowing penalty--a man down when he stole a Colgate pass at center ice and broke in all alone on the Raider goalie.

It was MacDonald's team-leading eighth goal of the year and his second short-handed goal.

"I did a lot of work over the summer," MacDonald said. "I shot a lot of pucks. I guess that explains some of my success. Things just started off well this year. Sometimes I don't play well and I still get two goals."

The real hero of last night's game, however, was Young who pounded home his first goals in a Crimson jersey. At 5-ft., 10-in., he is built like Smith, who is now playing professional hockey in Austria. But in Harvard's first six games, he hadn't been scoring like Smith.

"The guys have been giving me plenty of chances," Young said. "I just haven't been able to put it in."

That changed last night.

THE NOTEBOOK: Barakett is second on the team in goals scored with seven....The Crimson has now won nine in a row agasinst Colagate, and leads the all-time series 16-3...Cleary's all-time record against Colgate now stands at 14-3...Slater's record against Harvard fell to 3-12.