Youth Brigade Invades ITT

Indoor Track

By Julio R. Varela

Young--that's the best way to describe Harvard's 1986-'87 indoor track teams.

The men, winless in four meets last season, hope freshmen Edward Cushman and Vineet Gupta can fill a gap in the middle distances. The squad will also be counting on returning sprinters Don Levine and Chris Robertson.

The absence of standout Paul Kent (who will return to the squad in the spring, outdoor season) weakens Harvard's distance running. Crimson Co-Captain Steve Abbey said that his long-distance runners are not established yet, but he hopes that some will emerge to lessen the impact of Kent's absence.

"The talent looks great," Abbey said, "but it might take some time to develop. It's a team of the future."

Besides being young, the women's team is also small. Although it posted a respectable 4-3 record last winter, Co-Captain Frances Edozien noted that this year's squad will lack personnel to participate in certain events. One big hole, as of yet unfilled, was opened by the graduation last June of weight thrower Mary Lawlor.

One of the women's strengths may be a young group of cross-country freshmen--including Denys Adams, Renee Covi, Eva Klohnen, Tina Lount, Romney Resney and Lise Vansen--who will run the long distances.

The squad can also expect solid performances from high jumper and Co-Captain Erin Segrue, and hurdler Laura Blodgett.

"We did have a good fall outdoor track season, one of the best so far," Edozien said. The Crimson women finished the fall at 0-3 in dual-meet action, but fared better in championship events and individual competition. The men's squad closed the fall dual-meet season at 0-6.

Both Harvard squads inaugurate the '86-'87 season this weekend, when they host a meet with Army at the Gordon Indoor Track and Tennis Center. The weekend of December 14, Gordon will be the site of the Harvard Invitationals, in which about 20 teams will compete.

The Heptagonals, to be held in February, will be the culmination of the indoor season. Last year, with Harvard hosting the indoor Heps, both Crimson squads placed fifth in their respective fields. The men's team had placed first the previous season.