Yearbook Equipment Stolen From A-House

Cameras Totalling Almost $1200 Taken

By Brooke A. Masters

Yearbook camera equipment valued at almost $1200 was reported stolen from an unlocked student room in Adams House late Friday night.

Two cameras, three lenses and a motor drive belonging to the Yearbook, as well as jewelry belonging to one of the residents of the F-Entry triple were taken from the room between 10:30 p.m. and midnight, according to the room's residents. "The thief didn't take much of value except the cameras. He was looking for little stuff," said Victoria J. Wohl '88, who lives in the room.

The residents of the triple, including Yearbook photographer S. Vindi Singh '88, said the police have little information in the case.

Although Adams House has experienced fewer break-ins this year than in past years, the house is more vulnerable to crime than other Harvard houses, according to Adams House Master Robert J. Kiely. Located near the Square and with access to the house possible directly from Plympton St., Bow St., and Linden St., Adams is an appealing target for Cambridge burglars, Kiely said.

"The houses where you have one gate can be a little more careful. We can't guard all of the entries," Kiely said. "There are entry keys, but it's not too hard to get in."

The fact that the burglar's entry into the F-Entry suite was not forced gave the police little evidence with which to conduct an investigation, Wohl said. The room was left unlocked for about an hour, the occupants said.

The Harvard Police would not comment on the apparent theft.

It's Not a Problem

The Yearbook owns little equipment, generally relying on its photographers to supply equipment for their own use, but Yearbook Photo Editor Rebecca Sheridan '86 said yesterday that the loss of the cameras, lenses and motor drive will not delay the publication of this year's book.

"It's going to take a while to replace stuff. Sports is especially going to miss the motor drive," Sheridan said.

Most of the equipment stolen this year had only been purchased in September, Yearbook Editor-in-Chief Geoffrey M. Ghose said. "That really hurts."

Sheridan said that yearbook equipment is seldomn stored in student rooms.

Friday's burglary was the second time in as many years that Yearbook equipment was stolen from a photographer's room. Last year several cameras were taken from a room in Lowell House.