Drug Use, Personality Linked

Adolescents who have personality traits that parents love--obedience, responsibility and self-confidence--tend to shun drugs through high school and adulthood, while rebellious, pessimistic youths often grow up to smoke, drink and use illegal substances, according to a 12-year study.

The report, which was released Thursday at Massachusetts General Hospital, strongly suggests that substance abuse is not a random event and indicates that teen-age alcohol, cigarette and drug use can be predicted and perhaps even prevented.

"Personality characteristics and friendship patterns that begin to develop early in childhood can strongly influence later decisions regarding drug use," said Gene M. Smith, the study's author, a psychologist at MGH and an associate professor at Harvard Medical School.

"I believe, therefore, that early education by parents, teachers and other role models, such as athletes, stars and musicians, can play a very important role in deglamorizing these substances, particularly cocaine, the use of which is becoming a horrendous problem," Smith added.

Smith's research, conducted between 1969 and 1981, concludes that the adolescents who go on to drink, smoke and take drugs as teen-agers and young adults are usually impulsive, pessimistic, unambitious, extroverted and have poor study habits. They also admit a willingness to lie, cheat and hurt others.

Those youngsters who shun alcohol, cigarettes and drugs through their early 20s tend to be law-abiding, self-sufficient and ambitious. They also like school and feel valued by their peers, teachers and other people.

"Personality is a significant piece of the puzzle as to what leads to substance abuse," said Smith.

He added, however, that other factors, such as role models, peer pressure and availability of drugs, can also influence someone's decision to drink, smoke and take illegal drugs.

"We are dealing here with probabilities, not certainties," he said of the study's conclusions.