Con Man Shows Up in Denver

Moves West After Hitting Harvard First

An unidentified man posing as a former Harvard student, who may have duped a Harvard tutor into giving him money last week, apparently tried yesterday to con money from a dean at the University of Denver.

Someone claiming to be a former Harvard Summer School student told a dean's office at Denver that he was stranded in Denver and trying to borrow money to get to his home in California, according to Joanna M. Murray, assistant dean of students at the University of Denver.

Two weeks ago at Harvard, someone used a similar story to con a Lowell House tutor out of $75. Using the name Chris Bailey, the con artist lured Andrew M. Sullivan, resident tutor in government and drama, into lending him money for travel to New York in order to catch a flight to his home in London.

A tall Black man, going by the name Chris Bailey, who spoke with an English accent appeared at the Denver University Dean of Students' office yesterday morning, asking the dean to help him borrow money he needed to get home, said University of Denver officials.

He told them that his wallet and credit cards had been stolen at the airport and that his parents couldn't be reached. The dean's office was unaware of any foul play.

Harvard police are seeking Bailey for last week's incident. They describe him as a Black man in his early 20s who has an English accent and carries a Yale duffel bag.

Harvard police said yesterday that they can't arrest him while he's in Denver, but added that they are glad he is there and not here.

After speaking with Bailey, the Denver dean's office called Michael A. Smith, a Denver attorney and Harvard Law School alumnus who worked at Denver University, thinking that he could help Bailey. Smith said he spoke with Bailey, but could offer little help. Bailey left the dean's office soon after.

Smith said he suspected Bailey's story after his repeated calls culminated in an outright request for money.

"I knew something was wrong. You don't stop in Denver on your way to California if you have no money," said Smith.

Smith said his suspicions were confirmed when the Harvard Alumni office told him they had no record of Bailey's enrollment in Summer School. Smith then turned the matter over to the Denver Police.

Officer Richard Philips tracked Bailey to a fraternity on the Denver campus.

"We checked to see if he had a record, but he was clear. He wasn't wanted at the frat house, so we asked him to leave," said Philips. His present whereabouts are unknown.

The Denver police were unable to arrest or detain Bailey because he had not committed a crime, and no charges were brought against him.

"He is only getting people to give him money--he's not stealing it," said Smith.