Dunster House Supports Harvard Workers' Union

By Mark M. Colodny

The Dunster House Committee this week added its name to a growing number of campus organizations which have voiced support for a Harvard clerical and technical workers' union.

On Wednesday, the committee voted 27-1-2 to endorse efforts of the Harvard Union of Clerical and Technical Workers (HUCTW) to "form a union among the staff of Harvard."

The committee's resolution comes two weeks after the Lowell House Committee approved a similar endorsement. Other student groups which have voiced their support for HUCTW include the Democratic Club and the Radcliffe Union of Students.

For the last decade, HUCTW's leaders have spearheaded a grassroots battle to organize the university's 3800 clerical and technical workers, 83 percent of whom are women. The workers, many of whom are secretaries and lab workers, remain the only group of Harvard employees not represented by a certified union.

Organizing efforts, which began at the Medical School, have only recently been expanded to include the entire university. Before it can achieve formal recognition as a bargaining group, HUCTW must receive majority approval from university employees.

The Dunster resolution came as a result of efforts by the Philips Brooks House Committee for Economic Change (CEC) which has approached five house committees in an effort to increase student support for the union.

"It's good that students recognize the way workers are treated is relevant to them," said CEC Co-Chair Elizabeth E. Ruddick '87. "The [Dunster] resolution shows Lowell House isn't just a fluke."

HUCTW officials also welcomed the vote. "We're very happy that another house has decided to endorse the drive," organizer Marie C. Manna said last week.

Dunster residents at the meeting said they thought the union would establish better communication between workers and the administration. "The workers seemed to have important grievances, but current channels are not working," said Peter R. Jones '88.

Students also asked whether the establishment of a union would cause employee salaries to rise, and thereby hike student tuitions, residents said.