Computer Design Specialist Tenured

UCLA Professor Accepts Offer From GSD

A UCLA professor of architecture noted for his work in the field of computer--assisted design has accepted a tenure offer from the Graduate School of Design (GSD).

Officals at the GSD called the appointment a major step toward integrating computer technology into the GSD's curriculum.

William J. Mitchell, professor of architecture at the Graduate School of Architecture and Urban Planning at UCLA, yesterday confirmed his acceptance of Harvard's offer, effective next fall. He is slated to teach and conduct research in the areas of architectural design, design theory and computer applications in architecture.

Dean of the Graduate School of Design Gerald M. McCue said Mitchell's appointment was the product of a search begun last spring for a scholar who would strengthen the use of computer design and graphics in the architecture department of the GSD.

"[Mitchell] was the person we wanted," McCue said. "He was clearly the best person for the job." The department's goal, he said, was "to begin serious exploration of the potential for computers to improve the quality of design."

The UCLA professor's appointment was the eighth GSD tenure decision in the last eight years.

Mitchell said he looks forward to the chance to focus on teaching and research at Harvard, noting that administrative matters as head of the UCLA architecture/design program occasionally interfered with his scholarly pursuits.

Harvard's major attraction, Mitchell said, is that "The GSD is a fine school with first-rate students."

"It is important for a design school to be in the context of a broad intellectual environment. That makes everything more exciting," he said.

Mitchell was a visiting professor at the GSD last spring, when he taught a design studio based on design graphics.

A member of the UCLA faculty since 1970, Mitchell has published several books and reports, including "Computer Graphics for Architects and Designers" and "Computer Aided Architectural Design." The latter is regarded as the definitive text on the subject.

Mitchell received a Bachelor of Architecture degree from the University of Melbourne, a Master in Environmental Design degree from Yale and a Master in Arts degree from Cambridge University.