Brown Student, Insurance Agent Arrested in Ongoing Providence Prostitution Probe

PROVIDENCE, R.I.--A grand jury yesterday indicted a Brown University senior and a prominent insurance agent in connection with a sex-for-money operation that police allege was run out of the agent's condominium.

The senior was one of two women whose March 6 arrest sparked an investigation that included the seizure of hundreds of photographs of 46 women in various stages of nudity from the home of Stanley Henshaw III.

Henshaw, 43, is charged with 12 felony counts ranging from maintaining a public nuisance to soliciting women to commit oral sex.

Indicted on nine felony counts ranging from soliciting for prostitution to commiting oral sex was Dana E. Smith of Avon, Conn.

Henshaw's attorney, John F. Sheehan, said no arrest warrant would be issued for his client and that Henshaw would surrender for arraignment.

Smith's attorney John Tramonti Jr. was in court and unavailable for comment, according to his secretary.

Last week, the attorney general's office dropped misdemeanor loitering for prostitution charges pending in District Court against Smith and Rebecca R. Kidd of Orange, Conn.

The two women had pleaded innocent.

A spokeswoman for the attorney general's office said the District Court charges were dropped because the case was under investigation by the Providence County grand jury, which considers felony charges for disposition in Superior Court.

At the time the charges were dropped, an attorney for Miss Kidd said there were no conditions tied to the dismissal. He declined to comment on whether his client had cooperated with police or whether she had testified before the grand jury.

Sources who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity said Kidd had testified before the grand jury. Smith, the sources said, refused to cooperate after police released her name during the media onslaught after the case broke.

The arrests of the two women led to an investigation of a possible citywide prostitution ring involving college students, other college-age women and at least two juveniles.

Six of the women whose pictures were found in Henshaw's condominium, a converted 19th-century carriage house near the Ivy League school, have been identified as current or former Brown students.