Quincy Hosts Arts Festival

By Hyungji Park

The traditional spring arts fest at Quincy House this week is slated to offer a wide-ranging display of talents ranging from the exotic to the homegrown.

The Quincy House Arts Week, in its fifth year, began Friday afternoon and concludes on April 25 with the premiere of "The Tempest" on the Loeb Theater mainstage.

"We try to do something spectacular with the arts each spring. It's a lovely spring thing to do," said Mimi Aloian, associate master of Quincy House, who is organizing the arts week along with Mary Jo Barron, Quincy's resident music tutor.

Aloian called an exhibition and talk by urban landscape artist Bruce Cody the highlight of the festival.

Among some of the other special exhibits will be a showing of pottery pieces by Japanese potter Yakota Yabe. Both Cody and Yabe are professionals invited to participate in the festival, which mainly features student talents.

The Ballet Folkorico de Aztlan will perform a sword dance Sunday. Mask making, tie-dying, and drum shows are also scheduled. The musical lineup includes a "jazz jam session," an "evening of romantic music," individual piano performances, and other group performances.