Netwomen Tip B.C.

Harvard Eases to 5-1 Triumph

The Harvard women's tennis team (5-5) travelled cross-town Saturday and defeated the Boston College Eagles, 5-1, in the bitter cold of the William Flynn Complex tennis courts.

But the squad's fifth victory of the year was not as lopsided as the score might indicate.

First singles player Kathy Vigna fell 5-7, 6-2, 7-6 to Katie Mulumphy, who, she had defeated in the Princeton Invitational in February. The Crimson then went on to take the rest of its singles matches--but it wasn't easy. In fact, only one match did not go the full three sets.

"The team played okay, but it was tough getting used to the outdoor courts after practicing indoors almost all year," Coach Don Usher said.

The cold was tough--so tough that three doubles matches were not played.

Robin Boss was down three match points to the Eagles' Lisa Rosamilia in the third set of the last singles match of the afternoon before pulling out the decisive fifth victory (6-4, 2-6, 7-6).

The netwomen, last year's Ivy champs, open their Ancient Eight schedule next Friday and Saturday against Pennsylvania and Columbia. "We're the best team in the region," Usher said, "If we lose, it's an upset."