Red Sox and Tigers Eye Opening Day Encounter

Jack Morris, who's just 30 years old, will pitch his seventh opening day for Detroit when the Tigers start the American League season today against the Boston Red Sox.

Bruce Hurst, his 28-yr.-old opponent, will be getting his second opening-day assignment.

It's a day Morris always looks forward to. For one thing, the hard-throwing right-hander hates spring training and is always glad to get back to the cool northern climate.

"Opening day is always fun," Morris said. "I think the first part of every season is relatively boring because the kids are still in school and there's not much attendance.

"But opening day, everybody is there. It's fun. I like it when we line up on the foul lines and they introduce both teams. I still have flashbacks of when I played Babe Ruth League ball. I used to dream what it would be like on opening day in the big leagues.

"I often reflect that this is the exact same feeling I thought it would be."

Hurst, a left-hander, was Boston's opening day pitcher in 1984 when the Red Sox started the season in California against the Angels.

"It's an honor," said Hurst, who was 11-13 after a strong finish last year. "It means you've done something and this is your reward.

"This is a good ballpark for a left-hander to pitch in, too, so I appreciate that. In Fenway, I'm not so sure," he said.